Western Australia Apprenticeship Advisers
Mobile: 0417 874 496 - Email
Marissa Dewan is the Australian Apprenticeships Adviser for Western Australia. She grew up in country Victoria and has worked extensively with secondary schools as a teacher and outdoor recreation leader.
In the training sector, Marissa has worked for RTO’s as a trainer, coordinator and project manager. Most recently Marissa worked for a Group Training Organisation in WA, which employs apprentices and trainees.
Esperance students get insights into traineeships in agriculture
Marissa Dewan treated Esperance students interested in agriculture to a great day out, and some insights into a rural career.
Students from the Esperance Farm Training Centre at Esperance Senior High School were given fresh insights into agricultural careers during an event run by Rural Skills Australia.
Students who work at the Farm Training centre conducted a bus tour and informed their fellow students about the work they do on the farm and what they love about it.
A presentation was then given by Cher Cole, a local representative from CCI Apprenticeship Solutions, and also by Fred Chambers, the WA Education and Training Adviser for Rural Skills Australia.
Fred had students quickly engaged when he asked them what a dogger does. They were interested to hear that a 'dogger' is the term for a person whose job is to cull feral dogs.
Students enjoyed being entertained by students their own age during the farm tour. They were also surprised to hear about the variety of careers on offer. Introducing the students to CCI Apprenticeship Solutions opened doors for students interested in seeking a traineeship.
ONTrack - animated CD Rom
Careers in Australian Agriculture (animated resource)
We have prepared a more extensive cross section of links here to the website of national and state organisations. They include industry, careers and training, employment and vocational education.
Role of Apprenticeship Advisers
- Provide Australia-wide coverage to support school leavers and potential employers of agricultural and horticultural Australian Apprenticeships
- Customise high quality information and supporting resources for potential Australian Apprenticeships and employers looking for an apprentice
- Provide industry specific information about the agricultural and horticultural industries to help potential Australian Apprentices to make informed career choices
- Provide accurate, balanced and up-to-date industry specific information to potential apprentices, school leavers and agricultural and horticultural employers, through a variety of communication mediums, including the Internet, face-to-face, print, electronic, web streaming and web portal pathways
- Provide Australia-wide access through the 1800 free call hotline
- Arrange personalised follow-up support and assistance to schools, career advisers and VET coordinators
- Attend forums and career expos
- Arrange and manage a personal development day in partnership with schools, career advisers, agriculture teachers and VET coordinators in several states and regions
- Undertake visits with key school industry liaison officers