David Forbes - Apprenticeship Adviser
Level 2, Racing Victoria Centre
400 Epsom Road
Flemington Victoria 3031
Contact: 03 9376 8037 - 0427 665 946 - email@example.com
Timboon P-12 School: One of the best schooling concepts I’ve seen
During my time working as part of the Australian Apprenticeships Adviser program I have had the opportunity to network and visit various organisations and stakeholders throughout Victoria.
But in late October I had a meeting with the key players involved with the Timboon P-12 School's agriculture project and had the pleasure to see working first-hand.
This is one of the best schooling concepts I’ve seen, where agriculture is integrated into the curriculum.
Timboon P-12 School’s agriculture project captured the interest of everyone involved throughout the region, leading them to be finalists in the Victorian Education Excellence Awards 2013.
Sean Fitzpatrick, Timboon P-12 School’s assistant principal was among the key speakers at the Teacher PD (professional development) day hosted by Charles Sturt University at Wangaratta on Friday, 29 November.
Please take the opportunity to view some further information on the Timboon P-12 School's agriculture project.
Bringing 21st century agriculture and horticulture into the classroom
The Agriculture and Horticulture Industry and Education Partnership Group met recently to finalise plans for our upcoming Teachers Professional Development Day, on Friday 29 November.
The professional development day will be conducted at the Rural Industries campus at GOTAFE, Wangaratta.
The intended target audience is:
- Agriculture/horticulture secondary school teachers
- Other interested teachers from schools (eg VET/VCAL/Science/Maths/Careers)
- School council members
The aim is to foster:
- Increase knowledge about agriculture/horticulture developments and careers in the 21st century
- Introduce teachers to each other and encourage non ag/hort teachers to get involved
- Increase knowledge of what other schools are doing around ag/hort
- Foundations for an ongoing network
Limited places are available, so please get in early and reserve a place for the day. Please see Bringing 21st century agriculture and horticulture into the classroom for booking details.
David was raised on a sheep/wheat farm in central Victoria and he has worked in employment and training throughout his career. Growing up on a sheep/wheat farm gave him the passion and empathy for farmers. He has a particular interest in developing training and career opportunities for young people in regional and rural areas. He now makes his considerable expertise available to assist Australia's agriculture and horticulture industries.
ONTrack - animated CD Rom
Careers in Australian Agriculture (animated resource)
We have prepared a more extensive cross section of links here to the website of national and state organisations. They include industry, careers and training, employment and vocational education.
Role of Apprenticeship Advisers
- Provide Australia-wide coverage to support school leavers and potential employers of agricultural and horticultural Australian Apprenticeships
- Customise high quality information and supporting resources for potential Australian Apprenticeships and employers looking for an apprentice
- Provide industry specific information about the agricultural and horticultural industries to help potential Australian Apprentices to make informed career choices
- Provide accurate, balanced and up-to-date industry specific information to potential apprentices, school leavers and agricultural and horticultural employers, through a variety of communication mediums, including the Internet, face-to-face, print, electronic, web streaming and web portal pathways
- Provide Australia-wide access through the 1800 free call hotline
- Arrange personalised follow-up support and assistance to schools, career advisers and VET coordinators
- Attend forums and career expos
- Arrange and manage a personal development day in partnership with schools, career advisers, agriculture teachers and VET coordinators in several states and regions
- Undertake visits with key school industry liaison officers